Our mission is to support and maintain participation in parish activities, promote fellowship and enhance spiritual growth to those in similar stages of life.
Purpose: to honor and enhance the lives of those with common interests, through programs that provide spiritual, mental and physical wellness. We strive to present ourselves as role models to the youth of our community being available to the sister ministries of our parish for support , community resources and education, provide shut in home visits rides to liturgical services and ensure all parish communications are delivered to those who are in need of assistance
The senior ministry continues promotes spiritual, mental and physical wellness by planning,promoting, preparing and serving periodic lunches to our community. Speakers invited to these events have discussed a variety of topics over the past few years including aging and spirituality, the Divine Liturgy, physical fitness, fall prevention, Medicare and Medicaid, senior living options and healthy diet. We are eagerly anticipating a lecture about music thanatololgy later this Spring. We have cosponsored a yearly event with Agia Sophia children to promote relationship between youth and elders. We sponsor Christmas caroling party each December that allows seniors and the entire parish to come together to fellowship and honor God by singing beloved, traditional hymns together. We reach out to elders who are ill and shut in . We are just embarking on a more Pan Orthodox emphasis by inviting seniors from other parishes to our functions. We are blessed to serve God in this manner and thankful to Him for these opportunities.
Update (May, 2016)
The seniors have enjoyed an edifying and delicious luncheon every month so far this year. We have has excellent speakers including Father Theodore, Father Timothy, Katherine B., Father John, Richard W. and most recently Eli C. We had a luncheon set apart for senior confessions with Father Theodore and Timothy which was well attended We met recently and discussed our future plans
- We will have lunch with the ASA kids on May 16 and have a sing along
- We will celebrate the end of this year with a picnic at Norm and Eleni’s home on June 13
- We look forward to a luncheon in September devoted to sharing about ourselves to get to know each other better
- In November, Richard Whitton will be back to talk about finances and again offer a time for confession with Father Theodore and Timothy
- December will be our annual Christmas tea and caroling party
Goals for the Remainder of 2016
- We hope to increase our home bound visitation and are working on formalizing whom is being visited by whom
- Bonnie has taken on the keeping of the binder and will be updating it regularly
- Bonnie and Lois will be coordinating a little closer so that the seniors who are ill can be contacted by our ministry as well
We thank God that the senior ministry is healthy and a blessing for all.